Friday, June 11, 2010

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole-Yum!

I have always loved Pico de Gallo. I get it on so many different things and at so many different restaurants from Amigos to Fudruckers...Fudruckers has amazing Pico de Gallo. Seriously, it's to die for! Which is also how I feel about Chipotle's guac, it is truly amazing and made fresh every day.

Loving them both, I have been wanting to make them forever, but for some reason just never got around to it. Well, a few weeks ago I finally did it...I made them both. I had my friends Aaron and Ian over for dinner on a Friday (Aaron and I typically cook together on Fridays and Ian is there every other week as well). Our Fridays are always filled with good fun, music, amazing food, and sometime even a night full of Texas Hold 'Em. We all three love Mexican food and decided to make it a Mexican themed night. Stay tuned for a later post for the main event which was utter BLISS! Super easy since you use the Pico to make the Guac.

I took both of these recipes from The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook, which I have talked about before. The only thing that we changed was adding quite a bit more salt that Ree used. We did it "to taste" and the Pico turned out just lovely. The Guac was also really good, although a few changes might be added next time. However, the three of us ended up literally eating it ALL...the pico and the guac.

Enjoy!

Pico de Gallo
*5 whole Plum (roma) Tomatoes
*½ whole Large (or 1 Small) Onion
*3 whole Jalapeno Peppers
*Cilantro
*Lime Juice
*Salt To Taste

Chop up tomatoes, onion and jalapenos and mix together. I did not add the jalapeno seeds because they make it hotter and I was not sure how I felt about the jalapenos in the first place. Wear gloves whem handling them.

Chop cilantro to your preferred size and add to taste...for us..LOTS. Squeeze the juice from half of a lime into the mixture and add salt to taste. Stir and enjoy!


Guacamole:
*3-4 soft, buttery avacadoes
*Pico de Gallo
*Half of lime
*Salt

Cut avocados length wise, take pit out, and scoop "meet" into a bowl. Mush with a fork until the consistency that you want...it should be chunky though. Add large scoop of Pico de Gallo (how ever much you want), squeeze juice of half a lime in, salt to taste. Mix and enjoy!


NOTE: Guac keeps less than 24 hours after made. Pico between 24 and 48. So make accordingly the day you want to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment