Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Grandma's Mexican Cornbread


As I said the other day when I posted my grandma's cake recipe, it was just a Grammy's recipe day. I had called my Grandma on Friday to get her Upsidedown Cake recipe again (it ran away) and she ended up being at my mother's house. So the next day when she was home she called and we "talked shop" for a while on her recipes. This is one of them that just came to my mind and sounded great, so she gave me the recipe for it.

This dish is super easy and has always been one of Grammy and I's favorite recipes. Just like the cake, I can remember eating this for a long time. It actually originally came from my Aunt Tina. It had been so long since I had eaten this that I was like a kid in a candy store while making it and ended up forgetting the cheese because I was so excited to get it done and try a bite. However, if I would have remembered I may not have even included it. The grandparents and I usually don't put cheese on this dish or runzas, it is usually added for my mother. :)

My Grandpa, if I remember correctly, puts salsa on his so your could give that a try. I had Adam try it and he said "it's not bad, a little sweet for me" He is crazy though, anything with corn in it he ends up saying it's "too sweet". I don't get him sometimes lol, such a picky eater for being a chef...Weird!

This recipe is originally way too big for just me, or even the both of us. I am posting the larger recipe, but just know that you should cut it in half for 4 or less people if you want a little bit of left overs.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

-3 Pouches of cornbread/corn muffin mix (preferably Mexican cornbread, but it's hard to find)
-3 pounds hamburger
-1 whole bell pepper (chopped) Pick your faves, I used red and green
-1 whole onion (chopped)
-2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
-2 cans creamed corn
-1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 cup milk
-2 eggs
-parsley and garlic
-8 oz cheese (usually cheddar, but whatever you want)


Mexican Cornbread

*Brown hamburger, onions, and peppers in pan. Add a pinch or so of parsley and garlic (mix in) right before draining. (I actually just cooked mine with a large chopped garlic clove)

*Mix remaining ingredients well (except cheese)

*Grease a 9x12 baking dish and put half of corn mixture into pan

*On top of that layer all of the hamburger mix

*Sprinkle cheese on hamburger mix (I forgot and actually prefer it without cheese)

*Add remaining half of corn mix on top

*Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment