Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Pioneer Woman Cooks! *Penne alla Betsy*


So I must say that I am SO LOVING The Pioneer Woman Cooks! cookbook. I have been reading bits of Ree's cookbook over the last two or three days. I was a little apprehensive about buying it online without having ever looked at it, but I decided to go for it. It turned out to be a GREAT idea. I love her cookbook for many reasons. It is full of pictures of her ranch and kids that she has taken over the years and chalked full of good stories that go along side each recipe. Her recipes are simple, fun, and seem like they will all be super tasty. I am through most of the breakfast section and cannot wait to sit down and read more of the cookbook tonight when I finally get to go home at 7:30, ugh. It is literally so good that you can sit down and read it like a normal book or novel. I suggest that EVERYONE goes out and buys it. However, if you don't want to buy yet another cookbook, head over to her website Pioneer Woman Cooks! for great recipes, stories, and pictures. She is a God-sent. Her website and cookbook can be used by anyone and everyone since she goes through every small step with pictures and her own experiences. I cannot wait to start actually cooking from the book and her website.


This recipe, although originally from Pioneer Woman, I found at What's Gaby Cooking . I made this with the previously posted cornbread that I found on Two Peas and Their Pod. I will say that while this recipe was amazing and very flavorful, I would suggest cutting it in half. This was back when I lived by myself, before the days of Adam and I ended up taking a huge bowl down to my friends Debjani and Kuntal since they live right below me and it had shrimp in it. I think that this recipe would also work great with chicken. I did make it more flavorful (not that it needs it) by adding my own Slow Roasted Tomatoes to the mixture. I don't have a recipe for my slow roasted tomatoes up, but next time I make them (which will hopefully be soon, since I am out) I will try and remember to post my recipe. This, like all of Ree's recipes was simple to make. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Penne Alla Betsy

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb penne
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 14.5 oz tomato sauce
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 6 basil leaves (or dried basil)
  • salt and pepper
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente
  2. In a skilled over medium heat, add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil. Cook the shrimp until they are pink. Remove the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
  3. Next, chopped the onion and the garlic. In the skillet add the remaining butter and oil as well as the garlic and the onion. Saute for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the wine and allow it to evaporate
  5. Add the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to low. Then add the creamy and stir. Add the parsley too!
6. Add the shrimp, taste for seasoning and adjust if needed, add the pasta and serve garnished with basil!
**And PW's Cornbread!**

No comments:

Post a Comment