Thursday, April 22, 2010

Olive Cheese Bread and Sorrisos


For those of you who know me, you know that I HATE doing dishes. Washing dishes is my least favorite household chore to do, by far and boy did I have a LOT of them to do when I first got home from work/school tonight. There is proof for you, plus a few more on top of those.

YUCK! No fun!

However, for some reason after washing all of these I felt compelled to dirty a whole other sink full of them in the process of making a late supper tonight...and dessert. Everything I have been doing since getting home about 6:00 or so has in one way or another related to cooking. Whether it be washing dishes, looking at cook books, grocery shopping, reading cooking blogs, dirtying more dishes, or actually booking. I was a woman on a mission....a cooking mission while the Chef, Adam, was at work....Yes, he is actually a chef. I don't just call him that for fun. Believe it or not, for being a chef, he is fairly pick when it comes to food and HATES olives. However, I got him to try a bite...mostly because I pleaded and begged. I am sure that bribing him with pie (next post) and left over spaghetti also had something to do with it, lol.

My last two blog talked about The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook that I just bought. Well this will be no different, but I promise the other post to come tonight will be. :) Tonight I tried out Ree's Olive Cheese Bread from the cookbook. Yum! However, I did make a few substitutions. The recipe calls for both black and green olives and I detest green olives, so I used mushrooms instead because I do like them. I also changed the cheese to Kolby Jack and Mozzarella, mostly because I couldn't find the kind of cheese that she used on hand at Kroger. Other than that I stayed true to the recipe. I must say, I have NEVER bought real mayo because I just don't like it that much. However, I did follow that piece of the recipe as it said in the cookbook to NOT substitute, lol. This was a SIMPLE recipe to through together and I must say that it is DIVINE and so full of flavor. Way to go Ree, again! :)

Buy it! She is amazing!

Although I felt like cooking up a storm, I also went easy on recipes tonight. Spaghetti is so good and so easy that it seemed like the obvious and perfect choice to go with Ree's bread tonight. My spaghetti is always the same, but amazing. I only use whole wheat pasta because it is healthier and I prefer the taste as well. I also always have a huge glass of skim milk with pasta, or two. As for sauce, I will never make my own. This isn't because I doubt my sauce making ability, but because I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Uncle's pasta sauce. It is so amazing. He actually sells it in stores, and here is where the family plug comes in. I am not kidding when I say since I first tried his sauce years ago, I have never used any other sauce. It is great for lasagna, meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken Parmesan and so much more. It's based out of Firth, Nebraska and is called Sorrisos. They have many different flavors, but I opted for Tomato Basil tonight. Try it, you will love it! You can check the sauce out at the website or on the Sorrisos Facebook page. It is amazing and a perfect match to the Olive Bread.

YUM! I love Sorrisos!
Okay, okay. I will stop babbling on and on and get to the recipe, lol. Here you go!

Olive Cheese Bread (by Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients:

1 pound (I used a little less) Monteray Jack Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup mayonnaise (the real kind)
1 stick butter, softened
2 green onions, finely chopped
14.5 oz can Black Olives, finely chopped (drain first)
6 oz can Green Olives (I used mushrooms), finely chopped (drain)
1 loaf French bread.

Directions:

*Preheat oven to 350.

*Cut bread in half and then in pieces

*Mix all other ingredients together and spread an even layer (I used a lot) on each piece of French bread.

*Bake 10ish minutes at 350.

***Enjoy! YUM YUM YUM!***



It's pretty and tastes fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. The bread sounds fantastic! This is my first visit to your blog but it will not be my last. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete