Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Buttermilk Cake with Fresh Rasberries



Wow, it has been forever since I have posted a new recipe. Don't worry, it isn't that I have been on a cooking hiatus for months and months. Just more so that graduate school has been so busy that I never find time to sit down and post a new recipe. The last thing that I think about when I actually do have time to just sit down is doing exactly that...sitting and watching a movie or spending time with Adam.

I have made this cake twice now, both times with raspberries. The second time I used frozen because that is all that I could find within a 30 mile radius of my tiny home town over Christmas break. It is much better with fresh fruit, just take my word on that part. I originally found this recipe here, on Two Peas and Their Pod. Maria has so many excellent recipes that I will probably never get around to trying all of them for myself. You can make this cake with pretty much any fresh fruit that you want. Enjoy!

Buttermilk Cake with Fresh Raspberries:

-1 cup all-purpose flour

-1/2 teaspoon baking powder

-1/2 teaspoon baking soda

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened

-2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided

-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

-1 large egg

-1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk

-1 1/4 cups fresh fruit (raspberries)


Directions:


-Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.


-Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

-Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla.


-Add egg and beat well.


-At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk


-Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top.


-Cover with fresh fruit and then sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt over the fruit.


-Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.


-Cool in pan and serve with Cool-Whip



No comments:

Post a Comment