Sunday, September 6, 2009

Southwestern Pasta Salad

My friend and fellow recipe blogger Tessa added this recipe to her blog over the summer and I have been wanting to try it. So, with the labor day festivities and a big BBQ with friends tomorrow I decided that now was the time. I am sure that it will be a success! I tried a bite after I was done making it (so the tomatoes were not in it yet) and it is AMAZING! It has so much flavor. Nice work Tessa! I did add one extra ingredient (onions) because I just really like them. Here is a link to Tessa's original post on her Cookin' Chemist Blog.

This is one of the most flavorful salads I have ever had and I will definitely be making it again soon! I, like Tessa, always use whole-wheat pasta. Not only is it healthier but I think it has SO much more flavor than normal pasta. Plus it does not seem to get mushy like other pasta does. At first it does seem like there is a LOT of veggies and such when compared to the amount of pasta, but it makes the PERFECT ratio and blend.

Southwestern Pasta Salad

1/2 pkg. (box) whole wheat rotini pasta (About 8 oz)
1/4 c. canola oil
1/3 c. lime juice
1-1/2 Tbsp. chili powder, or to taste
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can green chiles
1/2 c. diced green bell pepper
1/2 c. diced red bell pepper
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup or to taste)
1/4-1/3 cup chopped vadalia onions (I added this due to preference)
1 c. chopped roma tomatoes

Preparation:
-Cook pasta according to package directions.
-In a large bowl, combine canola oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic.
-Stir in pasta and set aside to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally (I sometimes just run my pasta under cold water to chill it faster).
-Stir in corn, beans, green pepper, red pepper, chillies, and the cilantro.
-Cover and chill overnight or until ready to serve. Add chopped tomatoes just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment