Friday, September 18, 2009

Orange Chicken Stir Fry





I always love trying one of the recipe's from my friend Tessa's blog. She and her husband like to change it up quite a bit. The other night I was really craving Chinese food, but wanted to make it at home, didn't much feel like going out to eat. Of course, I also love to cook, so it worked out great.

It's a really simple recipe when it gets down to it and does not take long to make at all, once you have become good and rapid veggie chopping. :) I made a few modifications, which I wrote in a different color. I did them based on preference, although next time I think I will double the amount of carrots that I put in, there is definitely enough sauce for it.

For such a simple meal, I really did love it. It has a lot of flavor. Here is a link to Tessa's original recipe in case you case to see it. Tessa mentioned a problem with her coated chicken sticking to her pan really bad. However, I didn't seem to have this problem.

Orange Chicken Stir Fry.

Ingredients:


1-1/2 c. uncooked instant rice
1 Tbsp. plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
1 c. orange juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in cubes
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided (I used canola oil)
1-1/2 c. fresh carrots, sliced (I used 1/2 cup)
1 c. chopped red pepper (I put this in instead of the all the carrots b/c I LOVE red pepper)
1 c. chopped green pepper
½ c. chopped onion

Preparation:

Prepare rice according to package towards the end of the stir fry process.

In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, orange juice, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and pepper; set aside.

Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 2 Tbsp. oil until done. Remove and place in microwave to keep warm

In the same skillet, sauté carrots in remaining oil for 2-4 minutes. Add green pepper and onion; sauté for around 5 minutes (until vegetables are crisp-tender).

Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment